The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.-Steel Magnolias

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Today, I Married My Best Friend

I Corinthians 13:4-8
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  8 Love never fails.


15 years ago today, I married my best friend. He is the first one I run to with good news, bad news or even just gossipy news. He's the one I want to share everything. He gave me 2 beautiful, wonderful children and he is good to us. He makes me laugh. I mean, he seriously makes me laugh every day. I tell Leah all the time, Marry a man that makes you laugh, Leah. That laughter can get you through even the toughest of times. If she marries a man half as good as Ben, she'll be a lucky girl.

We met in high school. He says that he sat sort of behind me in Geometry when I was in 10th and he in 11th. I don't remember him from then AT ALL. But when he came back to school for his Senior year, I took notice.  We dated a while when he was a Senior and I a Junior, and went to the prom together. When he graduated though, he didn't have time for some little high school girl. Oh, well. Life goes on.
 We didn't see each other or talk to each for like 8 years. Then on the 8th anniversary of our first date, March 23rd, we met again...in a bar. Don't judge me! We danced a little that night. And he got my number and said he'd call. I told my best friend when we left, Write this date down. I'm going to marry that man. She was like, Oh, shut up. (NO, I was not drinking!) I said, I'm serious. I'm going to marry him. Well, we were inseparable for the next week. By the next weekend, we had decided we were getting married. We didn't get officially engaged til June. We bought land for a house in August, broke ground in Thanksgiving, house was done in February and we married March 16th. We wanted to get married on the 23rd but someone else had booked the church. THEN they eloped! But it was too late to change our date because we'd already booked the florist and caterer. It didn't matter, though. I didn't care what day we married, as long as we did!

We've changed a lot through the years. The things that drove us crazy about each other, still do. Don't marry a man thinking you're going to change him, ladies. It doesn't work that way. He still can't put a dish in the dishwasher to save his life! LOL I'm sure he'd tell you the things that drive him nuts, too. But I can't imagine my life without him., that hasn't changed. I probably love him more now than I did back then. He can make me angrier than anyone but we also have the best times together, and he can make me happier than anyone. I mean, look at us dressed up as Lois and Clark at Dragon*Con! How many people do you know that do that?

I hope all you have a best friend as great as mine! Happy Anniversary, Ben. We've come a long way, baby!!


This vid is George Strait singing "our" song, Cross My Heart. This was played at our wedding and it's as true today as it was 15 years ago.
Our love is unconditional, we knew it from the start.
I see it in your eyes, you can feel it from my heart.
From here on after let's stay the way we are right now,
And share all the love and laughter
That a lifetime will allow.

I cross my heart and promise to
Give all I've got to give to make all your dreams come true.
In all the world you'll never find a love as true as mine.

You will always be the miracle that makes my life complete,
And as long as there's a breath in me, I'll make yours just as sweet.
As we look into the future, it's as far as we can see,
So let's make each tomorrow be the best that it can be.

I cross my heart and promise to
Give all I've got to give to make all your dreams come true.
In all the world you'll never find a love as true as mine.

And if along the way we find a day it starts to storm,
You've got the promise of my love to keep you warm.
In all the world you'll never find a love as true as mine,
A love as true as mine.

17 comments:

  1. One of my favorite Bible verses....one of my favorite songs...but what I really love is your celebration of marriage!!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! You were a cute couple then and you are now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, Joy. So with you on being best friends & laughing.
    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are a lucky woman. Mine didn't work out. 3 great kids and 22 years later, done. Now I am preparing to celebrate 22 years of being with someone I still love to distraction. I wish I had been as lucky as you the first time. I am so happy for you and hubby. Finding a friend/mate for all time is truly a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say you were a stunning bride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! You two are so lucky to have found each other. Not every couple is so lucky and it is nice to be reminded that true love is alive and well!! :) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got tears in my eyes reading this. What a blessing & example you are to each other, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank y'all for the nice comments.

    Judy, at least you are now with the perfect person. Everything we do happens for a reason and where you were before brought you to where you're supposed to be now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful tribute to your husband and marriage! Happy Anniversary guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to you and your husband!! My mom and dad celebrate their 27th wedding anniversary tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary. I totally agree with the advice you've given Leah about the importance of a life-partner who can make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Joy! Happy Anniversary! This is such a sweet post, I really enjoyed reading about your story. I love getting to know little bits and pieces about you more and more every time!

    Hope you two are having a wonderful celebration!!!

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL @ don't marry a man and think you are going to change him HOW TRUE
    another piece of advice I got was train him early!! 25 years later I still can't the guy to put a dish in the dishwater, where did I go wrong
    Congrats on your anniversary and here's to many more
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post and it made me happy and it gave me hope!

    It's always nice to see couples making it through. 15 years is a HUGE accomplishment! You make me believe in marriage!

    Congratulations!


    besos,

    ML

    Join the Easiest Blog Project Ever at:

    Twenty York Street

    Twenty York Street

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwwwww, that is the best story! Congrats Joy, it sounds like you have a wonderful husband. My hubster and I will be celebrating our 10th this year. Way to go!

    Amber Lena
    outfits FOR SALE from $10!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Joy! Your wedding dress is gorgeous and I've enjoyed reading your love story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete